Food Technical Support
The Food & Drink Forum’s team of Food Technical Experts provide a range of support services to help you to create a safe food product in an efficient way, whether that be starting up from home or within production facilities. It is essential that food businesses stay up-to-date with regulations, The Food & Drink Forum can help you to achieve this. We access funding wherever possible to be able to offer our technical services to businesses free of charge (click here to see the funded support we are currently offering), however we can also provide technical support services through membership or on a consultancy basis based on your needs.
Our technical team can provide food and drink businesses with hands-on support in areas such as:
- Legal Label Checks – are your food/drink product labels in-line with the 2014 Food Information Regulations? Do you know if the claims you are making on your labels are accurate and legal? Are you correctly declaring ingredients and allergens? The technical team can provide advice and support to ensure your labels are compliant.
- Nutritional Analysis – using industry-recognised software, the technical team will analyse your product recipes and will provide you with a full nutritional analysis.
- Lab Testing Analysis – we can recommend local, reputable laboratories who can test your food/drink products, we will recommend the tests that you need to have undertaken, and will help you to analyse the results.
- HACCP Support – HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points) is a systematic approach to food safety from biological, chemical and physical hazards in production processes. It is a legal requirement for food / drink manufacturers in the UK to have a HACCP system in place. The technical team can help you to identify the hazards within your production process and will assist with the development of your HACCP manual and systems. We offer Level 2 and Level 3 FDQ accredited HACCP training to get your staff up-to-date with HACCP systems.
- SALSA Certification – SALSA (Safe and Local Supplier Approval Scheme) is a robust and effective food safety certification scheme which is appropriate for smaller food producers and processors. Approved suppliers can demonstrate that they operate to standards that are recognised and accepted across the industry and exceed the minimum standards expected by enforcement authorities. The technical team can help you to implement the processes and quality systems within your business in order to achieve SALSA certification as members of the team are registered SALSA mentors and auditors. For further information on SALSA certification please visit: https://www.salsafood.co.uk/index.php
- BRC Certification Global Standard – BRC (British Retail Consortium) is the Global Standard for Food Safety, developed by food industry experts from retailers, manufacturers and food service organisations to ensure it is rigorous and detailed, yet easy to understand. It provides a framework to manage product safety, integrity, legality and quality, and the operational controls for these criteria in the food and food ingredient manufacturing, processing and packing industry. The technical team can help you to implement the processes and quality systems within your business in order to achieve BRC certification. For further information on BRC certification please visit: https://www.brcgs.com/brcgs/food-safety/
- Shelf Life Advice – the technical team can provide advice on extending the shelf life of your food/drink product.
- Factory Layout – achieving the best factory layout for your manufacturing business can impact upon hygiene standards and help your business to achieve certification. The technical team can provide advice and support on factory layout and efficiency.
- Internal Audit – internal audits and the staff that carry them out are a key part of quality control within food and drink businesses. The technical team can undertake internal audits within your business on your behalf, or can provide training to your staff to ensure the correct principles of auditing are adhered to whilst managing continuous improvement.
- Food Safety – food safety and hygiene is a key part of manufacturing, the technical team can provide technical advice and support to implement safe processes within your business. We offer Level 2 and Level 3 FDQ accredited Food Safety training to keep your staff up-to-date with Food Safety systems.
Alongside one-to-one support, the technical team offer a range of workshops and training to help food and drink businesses to develop their food technical knowledge and skills – to see full details of upcoming workshops please visit our events calendar.
To arrange a site visit or to discuss your food technical needs please call The Food & Drink Forum on 0115 975 8810 (choose option 2).
See below for examples of the support our technical team has provided to food and drink businesses.