All current tenders related to The Food WorksSW site will be advertised here:
|A||Tender Reference||SW01 Café Operator|
|B||Tender Title||FOOD WORKSSW – CAFÉ OPERATOR|
|C||Published Date||25th November 2019|
|D||Length of response||Response limited to: 20 A4 pages maximum (and excluding copies of insurance, finances, policies and other documents requested within the tender document which can be provided as a separate appendix).|
|E||Submission requirements||By email to: email@example.com With the subject header as: ‘Tender Reference SW01 Café’
Post to: Bryony Whiley, “Confidential” The tender reference number, The Food and Drink Forum Limited, The Business Centre, Southglade Food Park, Gala Way, Nottingham NG5 9RG.
Both routes must ensure that the submission is received by the stated deadline below.
|G||Period of Contract||From 1st May 2020 To 30th April 2023|
|H||Budget / Price||The expectation is of rental of £29,100 to the Forum over the three year period (refer to section J)|
|I||Insurance Requirements|| The following Insurance values should be adopted:
|SECTION 1 – SPECIFICATION AND BRIEF
The Forum is seeking Tenders from suitably experienced operators to operate the Food WorksSW Café, which will be equipped and furnished as a ready to operate unit, from 1st May 2020 or earlier, subject to completion and handover of the Food WorksSW site following construction.
The Café (28 metres squared) will be equipped with a fitted, working and lockable kitchen (see attached ‘Food WorksSW – Floor Plan.pdf’) housing kitchen equipment (refer to ‘Food WorksSW – Café and Test Kitchen Schedule’) and serving counter. The Forum will welcome discussions with the contracted operator around the type of equipment being installed in the kitchen, and to discuss the needs of the operator in terms of housing the operator’s own existing equipment within the kitchen if required. Seating and tables for approximately 25 will also be included. In addition, the Touch Down Area will be available with additional seating for approximately 30 people. The outside patio area will also be available, weather permitting, with seating for approximately 20 people.
The main customer base creating footfall for the Café at Food WorksSW will be business people working in the food and drink industry using the facility to meet people, attend events and access specialist support from The Forum. As the development is brand new, it may take time to build this customer base. Consequently, the Café Operator will be required and has the opportunity to create and build its customer base through other avenues including but not limited to, local businesses/business people operating in and around the estate such as those in offices at The Hive where there are no catering services.
Through external marketing and PR there should be an opportunity to attract local people and passing trade with varied opening times, organising cookery activities, hosting celebration events or offering external catering services, as examples, in order to build a brand, reputation and promote the Café Operators Unique Selling Point.
1. General Trading Terms
It is our intention to sublet the Café Kitchen and Touch Down Area and offer the service contract on the basis of the following terms:
1.1 It is run as a separate, independent business with a commitment to support, complement and enhance the facilities that meet The Forum’s social values that contribute to the local community in Weston-super-Mare (refer to the ‘Café Commitment’ within the attached documents to this tender).
1.2 An under lease will be granted for 3 years (with a performance management review every 6 months to support the Operator) with the option to extend for a further two years, at the sole discretion of The Forum.
1.3 Our offer:
· Rent to include broadband access (for the Café Operator and its customers) and security.
· Rent to exclude business rates (see note below), waste, utilities, insurance, equipment repairs (if not under warranty) and kitchen maintenance. Please note that utilities to the café kitchen are sub-metered from the Engagement Centre’s supplies. The Café operator will be required to pay for the usage of utility supplied and contribute to any standing charges imposed.
· Exclusive access to the Café Kitchen and counter area for food preparation and catering.
· The Café Operator will be the selected supplier to cater for in-house Forum events, training sessions and workshops as well as for businesses and organisations that have hired conference facilities, meeting rooms and require catering.
· An opportunity to provide outside catering and to use additional kitchen space in Food WorksSW, with charges offered at a discounted rate. Additional kitchen space will require booking.
· Option of utilising the Touch Down Area and outside patio area free of charge for the Café Operator’s events, functions and or extended opening hours post normal business hours Monday to Friday 9 to 5pm.
· Cleaning and maintenance of the Touch Down Area, Café Kitchen and patio area will need to be maintained by the Café operator.
NB The Café Operator may be able to seek mandatory or discretionary Business Rate Relief. However, they will not be known until the building is complete and has been valued for Business Rates.
2.1 Rent will be paid monthly in advance on the 1st day of each month by standing order.
2.11 A deposit of £850 will be required at the commencement of the contract and held until the end of the contract and returned to the Operator subject to the terms of the under lease and deposit deed.
2.2 We recognise that footfall will be low initially but will grow during the first six months. Consequently, a sliding scale rent will be offered for payment by the Café Operator for the first six months to support the Café Operator generate revenue. The introductory Rental Payments schedule will be:
· 1st May 2020 – £400
· 1st June 2020 – £500
· 1st July 2020 – £600
· 1st August 2020 – £650
· 1St September 2020 – £700
· 1st October 2020 – £750
2.3 In the unlikely event that the Food WorksSW is not ready for operations due to delays in construction or opening, the Forum and Café Operator can revise the above introductory Rental Payments by agreement. In cases of delayed construction or opening of the Food WorksSW site, The Forum will not be liable for any costs or loss of income incurred by the Café Operator.
2.4 From 1st September 2020 rent of £850 will be paid monthly in advance by standing order.
Rent to be reviewed annually thereafter.
2.5 All marketing, branding and design will be undertaken in co-operation with The Forum to ensure Food WorksSW branding guidelines are followed.
2.6 Minimum opening hours are 9 am to 5 pm Monday to Friday.
2.7 All Forum owned fixtures and fittings within the Touch Down Area, Café Kitchen and outside patio area are to be maintained, repaired/replaced and cleaned at the Operators expense.
Café Area And Opening Times
The building is fully accessible with the Café situated in the entrance and Touch Down Area that is immediately visible on entering the building. It is full of character with double height ceiling, flooring and seating provided with access to training and conference rooms, business units, development kitchens, reception and toilets.
The Centre’s normal opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm. However, as there are a number of facilities for hire such as meeting and conference rooms and 4 development kitchens, opening times may be extended between 8am and 10pm. The Café can be opened Saturdays between 9am and 5pm to provide services or to run any community courses or activities that contribute to the Forum’s Social Value targets.
What We Are Looking For In A Provider
· Proven experience in running a successful catering business, especially where business meetings and or conference events have been serviced.
· A financially sustainable business that can commit to a 3 year contract with associated rental, deposit, maintenance costs, utilities, business rates, services and insurance costs.
· Provide good quality, innovative food and drink using local produce where appropriate, and representing value for money. A range of hot and cold food and drink will be required.
· An ability to work with The Forum to create a welcoming and attractive space which enhances Food WorksSW and attracts both businesses and visitors.
· A willingness and active approach to promote the Café and Food WorksSW using social media, posters, leaflets and other advertising methods for business use.
· Knowledge of the local area in Weston-super-Mare and of local businesses that may want to utilise Food WorksSW and its café.
· An ability to work with fluctuating demand within our opening hours and at our events.
· Compliance with all of The Forum’s policies, including security arrangements for the kitchen.
· A willingness to work with the Food WorksSW management with respect and flexibility for the mutual benefit of our businesses, tenants and community.
· A willingness to maintain a welcoming and inclusive atmosphere for all members of the local community and contributing to Food WorksSW’s social value activities – refer to our Social Value requirements and targets below i.e. the ‘Café Tenderers Commitment’:
· To be responsible for and maintenance of The Forum’s facilities and equipment that the Operator will use, namely:-
I. Touch Down Area, Café area and Kitchen and Patio area floors, décor, lighting and walls cleaning, maintenance, repairs, replacements and safe use;
II. Kitchen Equipment routine maintenance, cleaning and inspections; (The Forum will aim to source equipment with a warranty of between 1 – 10 years)
III. Furniture and Equipment cleaning, repairs and replacements; (The Forum will aim to source equipment with a warranty of between 1 – 10 years)
IV. General repairs and replacements across all areas named in I above.
V. Key holder responsibility
· To take responsibility for, but not limited to, all regulatory requirement associated with the Café operation:-
I. Food safety – we expect the Operator to achieve 4 or above on the Food Hygiene Rating Scheme
II. Servicing and maintenance of appliances and equipment, e.g. gas certificates, PAT tests etc.
IV. Fire safety
V. Pest Control
VI. Waste management
|K||Specific Deliverables / Milestones & Requirements/ Deadlines / Outcomes / Outputs||To be included with tender submission (where relevant);
· A proposal that covers:
· Your experience in operating similar or relevant business, examples of any recent catering work undertaken or current business model.
· Your vision for the Café and how it supports Food WorksSW.
· Your marketing and PR plans of the Café and how you will attract business custom.
· Proposed layout of the kitchen. This should include a list of additional catering equipment you may require to purchase and install in order to fulfil the requirements of this tender.
· Suggested menus and pricing for counter services, breakfast snacks, a small meeting lunch and a Conference buffet.
· Your proposals and commitment towards our Social Value Plan – see ‘Additionality’ below. An extract of the plan, outlining the Café Tenderers commitment is attached.
· How you will ensure food safety and seek inspection by Environmental Health.
· Trading figures for last the 2 years and a clear draft cash-flow and financial proposal for the first two years of operation. Note that the successful operator will be responsible for the all business rates, waste, insurance (noting requirement for £5m Public Liability Insurance), line rental and telephone calls as well as utility charges (gas, electric and water).
· Confirmation that you will provide sales information relating to revenues generated from within Food WorksSW and associated trade. This does not need to include sales information relating to external trade.
· Any perceived risks with the operation of the Café and how you plan to negate them.
· Information on food sourcing.
· Proposed opening hours.
· Events you want to hold at the Centre.
· Staff structure and recruitment plans.
· Confirmation that you are able to increase your Public Liability Insurance to cover £5m before or on the start of the contract. A copy of the Pubic Liability Insurance for £5m will be required no later than 5 working days after the commencement of the contract.
· Copies of:
· Current company insurance documents, noting Employers Liability Insurance is required by law.
· Copies of Health & Safety and Fire Safety Policies.
· Details of your current Food Hygiene Rating Scheme score and relevant Food Hygiene Certificates where applicable.
|L||Additionality||There is the option to use the café space for pop-up evenings and weekends, cookery classes or other activities in agreement with the Food WorksSW staff, noting that Forum policies and procedures must be adhered to.
We are particularly keen to view tenders that:
· encourage partnerships, working with local communities (neighbouring communities, community groups, education institutions, charitable organisations, employment initiatives etc.);
· focus on locally sourced and supplied produce;
· encourage ‘travel local and employ local’;
· promote values around sustainability;
· demonstrate innovation in menus, activities and offerings;
· support widespread marketing of the Centre and its facilities;
|M||Monitoring and or Reporting Requirements||EVALUATION AND CONTRACT AWARD
The basis of the tender is for the applicant to provide the service as described in the specification and brief.
The Forum does not bind itself to accept the lowest or any tender and will not in any circumstances reimburse the cost of preparing and submitting tenders.
The contract will be awarded on the basis of which tender is assessed as the most economically advantageous to the Forum and viability of Food WorksSW, taking into account the criteria within the evaluation and weighting details.
In the event that it becomes apparent to The Forum that a tender contains an error, the operator shall be required to stand by their submission or withdraw their bid. The Forum may seek clarification of tenders or individually priced items within the tender, that look abnormally priced compared to other bids received for similar aspects of the project.
Following the selection and approval process the successful operator will be notified and a letter of intent will be raised. Unsuccessful applicants will be notified at this time. The Forum will not publish details around this tender.
Only the information supplied in the manner requested within this document will be assessed.
The Forum regrets that it cannot evaluate any other form of submission, e.g. sales brochures and company literature.
MONITORING OF THE UNDERLEASE AND OPERATOR PERFORMANCE
It is expected that The Forum will hold monthly meetings with the Operator to assess financial (sales relating Food WorksSW) and operating performance and the Social Value Plan Commitment (Café Operator Commitment) against the initial tender submitted.
|N||Documents Enclosed||Food WorksSW – Floor Plans
Food WorksSW – Kitchen Floor Plan and Elevations (NB Items in green not purchased)
Food WorksSW – Café and Test Kitchen Schedule (Equipment to be installed – NB Items in green not purchased)
The Food and Drink Forum Sustainability Policy
Social Value Plan Commitment (‘Café Operator Commitment’)
Please note that the Under Lease is currently being drafted at the time of the release of this tender but will be available in draft to those interested businesses from the 13th of December upon request.
Additional information in relation to the tender and an application pack can be downloaded here: