We pride ourselves on our dedicated team and their knowledge and experience of the food and drink sector.
They are passionate about the industry and go the extra mile to support the businesses within our network. Keep an eye on this page and our social media for any future roles we are recruiting for.
Please also click here to see current vacancies in the sector.
Role Title: Sustainability Advisor for Food and Drink Manufacturing
Site / Location: Southglade Food Park, The Business Centre, Gala Way, Nottingham, NG5 9RG
Term: Fixed Term Role
Anticipated start date: Dependent on outcome of bid
Duration: Dependent on outcome of bid but estimate 4 to 6 months
Salary Range: £35,000 to £45,000 per annum pro rata depending on experience
Holiday Allowance: 25 Days + 8 Banks Holidays pro rata where applicable
Health Benefits: Flexible benefit package & additional 3 days absence leave after 1 yr
DATE ADVERTISED: CLOSING DATE: Upon finding a suitable applicant
PART 1 - SPECIFIC JOB DESCRIPTION ROLE REQUIREMENTS
The Food and Drink Forum anticipates the successful awarding of a tender (early September) that will create the role of Sustainability Advisor for Food and Drink Manufacturing for a 4 to 6 month period. Due to the short-term nature of the role, we are able to offer this opportunity as fixed term employment or on a sub-contracted basis to a consultant.
Overall Job Purpose
To work with food and drink businesses and help them to understand the importance of environmental sustainability within a food and drink manufacturing business and the practical steps they can undertake to make their business more sustainable and efficient as part of the Community Renewal Project.
To effectively market, promote and develop the Food & Drink Forum and its services to the food and drink sector in order to raise its profile in being one of the leading sector bodies in the industry and a resource for members and non-members across the UK, whilst maintaining a professional business centre for clients.
PART 2 - GENERAL DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITY
|Duties||Responsibilities & Tasks|
|Business Advice||· To identify eligible food and drink businesses within the designated geographical LEP areas within the East Midlands.
· Meet with businesses, complete all relevant paperwork to enrol the business onto the Community Renewal Project, and complete a diagnostic/needs analysis to understand their business goals and challenges, with a focus on sustainability.
· Support/coach the business in all areas of environmental sustainability advising on areas such as production line efficiency, best practice management, waste and recycling, travel plans, material use, energy management and usage, industry and Government sustainability demands, impact on local communities and eco-systems, suppliers and procurement, compliance with environmental legislation.
· Identify and recommend state-of-the-art technologies (SAT) and grant funding available to businesses to increase the uptake of sustainable production.
· Identify and recommend links to other business support providers and especially R&D connections with local Universities.
· Identify and recommend additional opportunities for using bioenergy to lower emissions and improve resource efficiency.
· Identify and recommend heat recovery opportunities within the business.
· Carry out research and audits on behalf of the business reporting on your findings to make the most beneficial suggestions to allow the business to improve their sustainability.
· Keep up to date with research and legislation surrounding sustainability.
· Make the business aware of any schemes/funding available to help them achieve greater sustainability, including the FEAST2 project.
· Referring the business to the Food & Drink Forum support team for support as required, as well as signposting to external support organisations.
· Responsible for building and maintaining close working relationships with Growth Hubs to ensure signposting access to the generic (non-food or drink specific) support that Growth Hubs provide.
· To maintain routine working relationships with other industry sectors across the region and other ‘customer engagement’ organisations to answer specialist queries outside of the food and drink sector.
· To understand and feedback on the needs of businesses in the food and drink sector.
|Project Support||· Assisting the Finance Manager with the smooth running of the Community Renewal Project, putting processes in place to ensure funding requirements are met and assisting with forecasting to ensure targets are met.
· Regular liaison with project staff to ensure all involved understand the processes, targets, paperwork and claims process.
· Ensuring all paperwork is completely correctly and in a timely manner and the CRM system is updated accordingly.
· Monthly reporting to ensure targets are met (through activity and communications report).
· Following procurement guidelines when making project spend.
· To deliver set output targets.
|Administration||· Timesheets, evidence and administration by required deadlines.
· General administration, filing, shredding, typing and other administrative duties.
· Developing and maintaining filing systems.
· Monitor and report on targets and own performance as required.
· Updating the management information system.
· Providing audit support for both internal and external audits.
· Completion and updating of standard operating procedures in your area and with your tasks.
NOTE: Administration maintenance is required in both hard copy format as well as updating either or both the Management Information System and the FDF Database.
|Reporting and Recording
|· Updating all MIS information systems and files with activity conducted.
· Monitoring and reporting of own targets and diary management.
· Documenting and reporting all activity such as accidents, issues, complaints and health and safety concerns, as an example, to Senior and Line Managers of the Forum, and to other bodies as may be identified within your role.
|Health, Safety and Welfare||· Relevant H&S training to be conducted and maintained.
· Reporting and documenting all activity such as accidents, incidents and complaints.
· Continual professional development of self and others as required within H&S.
· Maintain a safe site, managing the health and safety of self and others.
· To complete risk assessments in your department and ensure safe systems of work
|Legal compliance of statutory requirements||· Adhering to all legal compliance and statutory requirements including, but not limited to, evidence of insurances, undertaking and adhering to risk assessments and signage, as well as updating, maintaining and promoting to others of the Company’s standard operating procedures, GDPR, health, safety and welfare responsibilities and Company policies and procedures and familiarisation of all security and fire alarms including testing.
Care must be taken to ensure that operational practices, processes and deadlines are in line with all legal, statutory and EU legislation and regulations and other funding requirements.
|Personal Development||· Monitor and report on targets and own performance as required
· Participate fully in annual appraisals
|Whilst every effort has been made to explain the main duties and responsibilities of the post, each individual task undertaken may not be identified and you may be required to perform other duties as required. Employees will be expected to comply with any reasonable request from a manager to undertake work of a similar level that is not specified in this job description. The Food and drink Forum will endeavour to make any necessary reasonable adjustments to the job and the working environment to enable access to employment opportunities for disabled job applicants or continued employment for any employee who develops a disabling condition. All employees who are in contact with children will be required to apply for a Disclosure.|
|PART 3 – PERSON SPECIFICATION|
|QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS||Essential / Desirable / N/A|
|Food science degree||Desirable|
|Specialist environmental sustainability degree or similar degree / higher standard||Desirable|
|Health and safety certification (IOSH, NEBOSH, fire marshal, first aid)||N/A|
|GCSE or Equivalent English and Maths||Essential|
|Other: Food Safety, HACCP Level 3, Engineering Qualification and Lean Manufacturing/6 Sigma Qualification||Desirable|
|SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE||Essential / Desirable / N/A|
|Food or drink manufacturing, operations, technical, engineering, process efficiency or equivalent||Essential|
|SMEs experience or business engagement with SMEs||Essential|
|Best practise operations regarding environmental sustainability||Essential|
|State-of-the-art production technologies that support environmental sustainability||Essential|
|Facilities and Health & Safety:||Essential / Desirable / N/A|
|Facilities management, defect and maintenance checks/scheduling, inventories, environmental/energy monitoring,||N/A|
|Familiar with a food facility or other large facility/company operation||Essential|
|Security, CCTV, alarms, Key management||N/A|
|H&S, emergency, fire safety, testing, risk assessments, incident reporting||Desirable|
|Procurement, contract management, suppliers / tenders||Desirable|
|Relationship Management:||Essential / Desirable / N/A|
|Partnership, stakeholders, senior management working, networking||Essential|
|Surveys, research, data collection, LMS analysis/validation, client contact||Desirable|
|Business engagement, client account management, contract & project management, sales, cold calling||Essential|
|Income generation / commercialization||N/A|
|Administration:||Essential / Desirable / N/A|
|Reception, telephone answering, customer service, hospitality, stock taking, managing post, shredding; kitchen, office & site cleaning||Essential|
|Time / diary management, room booking, inventory & hygiene checks,||Essential|
|Customer account management and updating records, tenant/visitor liaison, project documentation and file management, minute taking, reporting and EU / Govt funded projects||Essential|
|Membership systems, marketing and presentation, social media, event coordination||N/A|
|Proficiency in IT, Databases, e-learning, All MS office [Excel, Word, Outlook etc], Webinars, e-shots, Mailchimp, Instagram, Directory paths, Video conferencing, Document Storage.||Essential|
|Legal: terms & conditions, employment, HR, contracts, GDPR, confidentiality, regulations,||Desirable|
|Quality systems, audit, standard operating procedures and policies, EU/ERDF & Govt projects/document requirements||Desirable|
|Personal Qualities||Essential / Desirable / N/A|
|High standard of English grammar, accuracy, attention to detail.
Positive attitude, confidence on the phone, clear communication, smart appearance, reliable, punctual, flexible, can work on own initiative.
ABOUT THE FORUM
The Forum: Leading the way in food technical, The Food & Drink Forum is an ambitious not-for-profit organisation which specialises in taking food and drink businesses from the early start up stage to becoming established businesses. Currently based across three industry-leading, purpose-built food parks, our regional coverage is ever increasing. Food Technical is at the core of what we do and offers a crucial lifeline to new and established food and drink businesses.
To apply for this role:
We thank all applicants for their application and interest in the role and in The Food and Drink Forum.
Please note that we receive a lot of applications and as a result it is difficult to respond to each individual applicant therefore, if you have not received communication from us within two weeks, it is likely that you have not been successful in your application on this occasion.
- A Covering Letter demonstrating:
- Your interest in the Forum
- How your qualifications, skills, knowledge and experience meet the role and person specification
- How you would achieve the requirements of the role
- What added value you would bring to the role
- At least 2 references (one must be from your current employer). Please state whether referees can be contacted during interview stages.
- A Completed Application Form
- A Current CV
Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
We will be holding interviews throughout the course of September/October.
Please submit your application as soon as you are able to as the advert will close as soon as we have found a suitable candidate.
By applying for, or accepting, a role at the Food and Drink Forum Ltd, you consent for the company to hold and share personal data with third parties/funders where the role is being fully or part funded.
In addition to the Forum holding such recruitment and employment records for a period of 6 months, or as per the funded project requirements which could be up to 10 years, as evidence and transparency within a project. Note that all personal and sensitive data will be kept secure and confidential and used for employment and or project reporting purposes only.